Here is your ingredients list for a healthy Holiday:
1. Water, water, water – stay hydrated! What celebrity doesn’t have a bottle of Evian Velcroed to his/her hand? Drink lots of water. Water keeps your skin soft, smooth and supple. Water keeps your blood volume at proper levels. Water bathes your joints. Water helps regulate healthy digestion. Water flushes out toxins, like metabolites, waste and alcohol, and those ever-present cold-flu germs. Start by substituting a glass of water for a sugary drink that you normally would have, then over time, cut out all sugary drinks.
2. Exercise. Yeah, I know, boring. But, with some brick movement every day your bod will look fab in those Holiday outfits. You wanna look sexy this winter and also get a head start on those New Year’s resolutions? You wanna flaunt your assets when all others are hiding theirs? Then you gotta put the time in at the gym. Refuse to shell out for a club membership? No problem, get your butt in gear at home where you can get your groove thing on and sweat to the Wii. Strength training is important for everyone because it builds muscles, bone and a strong heart. So, go ahead and throw some weight around, just do it carefully, please. Sweat for 30 minutes everyday if possible pumping out those push ups, crunches, and lunges plus cardio exercise to whittle your middle.
3. Food right! Exercise and food are married. You have to fuel your body with pure premium energy, not the junk stuff with all the sediment and sludge. You already know what to do, now simply follow through. If you need help, consult a nutrition educator. Choose healthier options that still taste good to you but are not weighed down with excessive sugar, salt and fat – and that includes the fake stuff too. Opt for food grown from Mother Earth, not from a laboratory. Flavor your food with real herbs and spices, not preservatives or chemicals. Aim for 9 servings of fruits and veggies every day.
4. SLEEP! Oh my goodness – how important is sleep? Ask anyone who doesn’t get enough sleep how important it is. It’s mega important! And if you don’t get enough you will look old and tired before your time. Look perky at those parties and outshine your friends and office mates who didn’t follow these tips. Getting enough sleep also keeps your bleed pressure in check, and rejuvenates your skin and liver, which is a sure way to keep you looking younger. Adults need around 8 hours every night so don’t skimp on sleep time; it doesn’t do any good.
5. Don’t worry! Control stress. Does the thought of attending work parties work you into a nervous frenzy? Does the prospect of spending too much “quality time” with family drive you bonkers? Are there deadlines after deadlines quickly approaching? Do the roadways seem more congested this time of year? The first thing you need to do is acknowledge the various stressors in your life, then you need to act upon them. Can you change them? If yes, then do so. If you cannot change them, then you need to change your reaction to them. Easier said than done, perhaps, but learn to recognize your emotions and learn to control them. Take a yoga, tai chi or meditation class. Get a relaxing massage. Take guided imagery. Journal. Breathe deeply. Give yourself a reward for reaching your stress goals, but do NOT use food or alcohol as rewards. A reward can be as simple as lighting a scented candle.
6. Be Happy. Stay positive! You look incredibly sexy when you are confident. Don’t mistake confidence for cockiness. A self-assured but humble being that is passionate about life has a purpose, a positive out-look, and lives longer. These folks attract attention from others. You wanna look hot? Flaunt that positive attitude – say just enough to make other people feel good about themselves, then shut up and smile. Use good-natured humor to brighten the room. Be genuinely interested in other people and find something nice to say about them, but be sincere. Just like with cockiness, flattery will get you nowhere. If you can’t find anything nice to say, just stand with perfect posture and smile. People who practice a genuine smile and good posture automatically look confident.
Follow these tips and you are sure to look better in four weeks.